Computing at Beaminster St Mary's
Technology is changing the lives of everyone. Through teaching Computing at Beaminster St Mary’s Academy we intend to equip children to participate in a rapidly-changing world where work and leisure activities are increasingly transformed by technology. It is our intention that pupils become digitally literate to enable children to find, explore, analyse, exchange and present information. We also focus on developing the skills necessary for children to be able to use information in a safe and responsible way. Computing skills are a major factor in enabling children to be confident, creative and independent learners and it is our intention that children have every opportunity available to allow them to achieve this.
In addition, pupils are taught the principles of information and computation, how digital systems work, and how to put this knowledge to use through programming. Building on this knowledge and understanding, pupils are equipped to use information technology to create programs, systems and a range of content. Computing has deep links with mathematics, science, and design and technology and we have found links to other areas of our curriculum to make learning fun and engaging for our pupils.
Beaminster St Mary’s 8 principles for an enriched and connected curriculum:
- In your element – You explore, you play, you excel, you thrive, you have fun and you succeed. Find your element, trust yourself, give it a try, you might like it more than you think!
- In your hands - You are responsible for your own learning so challenge yourself. Find your personal bests and push yourself to improve. What will you achieve through your knowledge of technology? There’s always more to learn!
- In your mind – Your learning, your memory, your motivation, your mindfulness, your ability and your growth mindset. Unlock the power to believe in yourself and explore the technology around you! What will you create?
- In your imagination - You can achieve anything. Let your imagination run wild and work hard to make it a reality. You can create anything!
- In your heart – Love and kindness for yourself, for others, for the world. Use the power of technology to communicate with those who are special to you in a safe and responsible way.
- In your world – You are part of a much wider community; you are a global citizen and have an important part to play in the future of your world. Technology is ever changing in our digital world, you can see the world at your fingertips and explore all that is available to you!
- In your community – You belong, you are valued, you are a friend to others and through an appreciation of Computing you can make connections and share your knowledge.
- In your future - Your happiness, your success and your infinite possibilities. It is the story of you and it will be unique, special and wonderful. Technology is the future and you have the power to let this take you anywhere!