Beaminster St Mary’s Academy
History Intent Statement
At Beaminster St Mary’s Academy, we aim to give all children a strong understanding of the past whilst acquiring specific skills and knowledge to help them to think as historians, to gain an awareness of chronology and also the ability to explain how the past has helped to shape future events.
Through our connected curriculum at Beaminster St Mary’s Academy we believe in creating inspiring topics, with a lead subject which links together with key questions that develop different lines of historical enquiry. In order to develop the children’s understanding of the past, houses and homes is a theme that runs through all of our historical topics. We believe this helps children to better visualise and appreciate different historical periods.
Throughout their journey through our school, children are encouraged to ask perceptive questions and think critically by considering evidence and arguments, so that they can develop their own perspective and judgement. They will gain an understanding of the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time.
We aim to inspire children in order that they gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s history and that of the wider world which helps to stimulate their curiosity to discover more about the past. Additionally, we make full use resources within the immediate and wider local area, through planning memorable trips and experiences that ensures children develop a deep understanding of the rich history of their locality.
Beaminster St Mary’s 8 principles for an enriched and connected curriculum:
- In your element - You excel, you thrive, you have fun, and you succeed. Find your element, trust yourself, give it a try you might like it more than you think!
2) In your hands – You are responsible for your learning. You can discover the historical period, significant events and individuals.
- In your mind - Your learning, your memory, your motivation, your mindfulness, your ability, and your growth mindset. Unlock the power to believe in yourself.
- In your imagination - You can ask your own questions, taking your research in whatever direction you wish. There is a world of unlimited possibilities…
- In your heart - Understanding how people lived in the past helps us to empathise with others around us…to explore issues of friendship, diversity and belonging.
- In your world – Discovering the past opens up to a world beyond our doorstep… to different times… to different cultures… to different customs…to different characters. We understand our world better by finding out about it and communicating with it.
- In your community – Beaminster has a rich and varied history that connects to events of national and global importance. You can explore and engage with others who have a connection or understanding of our local history.
8) In your future - Being able to find out about the past and develop your own opinions are essential to your future. You can be whatever you want to be.