English at Beaminster St Mary’s
At Beaminster St Mary’s Academy, English is at the cornerstone of our entire curriculum. We endeavour to ensure that all learners are primary literate and achieve the highest the standard in reading, writing and speaking and listening.
Reading is the gateway to all future learning; therefore, we place an emphasis on high quality phonics teaching, leading to fluency and excellent comprehension skills. Through using high-quality texts, selected from our rich literary heritage, we aim to create a vocabulary rich environment so that pupils become life-long readers, creative writers and purposeful speakers and listeners.
At Beaminster St Mary’s our connected curriculum gives pupils the opportunities to apply their writing in a meaningful way in areas that interest them. All Topics link to reading and writing, ensuring that pupils are thoroughly immersed in the subject. On their journey through school, children become proficient at writing to entertain, inform, persuade and review, publishing their work for a real audience. High expectations of grammar, punctuation and spelling are expected therefore we dedicate time in the curriculum to teaching these essential skills.
Beaminster St Mary’s 8 principles for an enriched and connected curriculum:
- In your element - You excel, you thrive, you have fun, and you succeed. Find your element, trust yourself, give it a try you might like it more than you think!
- In your hands – You are responsible for your learning. You can find the genre, the author, the series that appeals to you.
- In your mind - Your learning, your memory, your motivation, your mindfulness, your ability, and your growth mindset. Unlock the power to believe in yourself.
- In your imagination - You can take your reading and writing in whatever direction you wish. There is a world of unlimited possibilities…
- In your heart - Reading helps us to empathise with others around us…to explore issues of friendship, difference and belonging.
- In your world – Reading opens up to a world beyond our doorstep… to different cultures… to different customs…to different characters. We understand our world better by reading about it and communicating with it.
- In your community – Around us we are surrounded by people who use English skills as an integral part of their careers. You can engage with and influence the issues effecting our community by reading and writing about them.
- In your future - Being literate and being able to communicate are essential to your future. You can be whatever you want to be.