Beaminster St Mary’s Academy
Geography Intent Statement
At Beaminster St Mary’s Academy, we aim to
Through our connected curriculum at Beaminster St Mary’s Academy we believe in creating inspiring topics, with a lead subject which links together with key questions that develop different lines of geographical enquiry. In order to develop the children’s understanding of the world around them, houses and homes is a theme that runs through all of our geography topics. We believe this helps children to understand and compare different types of houses from around the world, in terms of location and climate. By
Additionally, we make full use of resources within the immediate and wider local area, through planning memorable trips and experiences that ensures children develop a deep understanding of their locality and how it is interconnected to the wider world.
Beaminster St Mary’s 8 principles for an enriched and connected curriculum:
- In your element - You excel, you thrive, you have fun, and you succeed. Find your element, trust yourself, give it a try you might like it more than you think!
2) In your hands – You are responsible for your learning. You can discover the environment, significant geographical features and location.
- In your mind - Your learning, your memory, your motivation, your mindfulness, your ability, and your growth mindset. Unlock the power to believe in yourself.
- In your imagination - You can ask your own questions, taking your discoveries in whatever direction you wish. There is a world of unlimited possibilities…
- In your heart - Understanding how people live in different parts of the world helps us to empathise with others around us…to explore issues of sustainability, diversity and belonging.
- In your world – Discovering different places opens up to a world beyond our doorstep… to different environments… to different cultures… to different customs…to different people. We understand our world better by finding out about it and communicating with it.
- In your community – Beaminster as a locality is a part of an interconnected and interdependent world. You can explore and engage with others who have a connection or understanding of our local area.
8) In your future - Being able to find out about our world and develop your own opinions are essential to your future. You can be whatever you want to be.