Science at Beaminster St Mary’s Academy
At Beaminster St Mary’s Academy , we aim to give all children a strong understanding of the world around them whilst acquiring specific skills and knowledge to help them to think scientifically, to gain an understanding of scientific processes and also an understanding of the uses and implications of Science today and in the future.
During each Topic, scientific enquiry skills are embedded and these topics are revisited on their journey through school. We recognise that scientists have changed the world be asking and answering questions, therefore we put a key question at the heart of each lesson.
Another key principle of ours, is that our science lessons should be hands on, using the school grounds to enhance learning wherever possible. Specialist vocabulary is built up, enabling pupils to communicate their ideas and findings.
As part of each topic, pupils should get the opportunity to develop their skills by: carrying out research, making observations over time, identifying and classifying, designing and conducting fair tests, investigate how scientific ideas have changed over time, and performing comparative tests.
Beaminster St Mary’s 8 principles for an enriched and connected curriculum:
- In your element – Science is a fun subject in which you can succeed. Throw yourself into every lesson, trust yourself, give it a try you might like it more than you think!
- In your hands - You are responsible for your own scientific learning so challenge yourself. The present and the future is in your hands…
- In your mind - In Science you might not know the answers – many scientists never know. Use your growth mindset, believe in yourself and don’t fear the unknown.
- In your imagination - Science is a creative subject that needs your curiosity and problem solving skills.
- In your heart - Love and kindness for yourself, for others, for the world. You need to work cooperatively, showing the ability to listen to others but also challenge each other.
- In your world – Science is a truly global subject with issues that unite and affect us across the world.
- In your community – There are people in our community whose careers are based in the sciences. You can work as part of this community to make us more sustainable, healthier and environmentally conscious.
- In your future - Science is essential to your future, your infinite possibilities. It will play a part – however big, however small - in the story of you.